Friday, June 8, 2012

Settling In

So I'm officially finishing my 2nd full day here at Wesley Medical Center and the worst part tends to be the separation from my husband and son at this point.  I don't like goodbyes and these are the worst right now.

My day is usually pretty full with vitals checks or visitors so I don't stop to think about how long I've been here versus how long I still have to go.  The staff has been marvelous so far.  My regular OB finally came to see me this morning and said she would be by every day from now on. We shall see if that holds.  I think overall my adjustment is going pretty well except I think I'm starting to develop a caffeine headache since I haven't had any caffeine knowingly since Wednesday before I checked in.

My days usually go as follows:

6 am wake up for vitals and blood sugar check after fasting overnight.
7-7:30ish is breakfast followed by an hour long monitoring of baby McKenzie.
9-9:30ish is a blood sugar check after having insulin with breakfast.
Doctor visitors tend to come around this time or a little later depending on their schedules.
10-10:30ish is my morning snack.
11:30 -12:30 is usually when they bring lunch around with another dose of insulin.
1:30 - 2 is usually my next vitals and blood sugar check along with a snack somewhere shortly after.
5:30ish is usually dinner time here with another dose of insulin.
7:30ish is another blood sugar check.
9 is usually my long acting overnight dose of insulin along with a snack before bed.

My family usually comes up to visit in the afternoons or once they get off work in the evenings and stay as late as they can.  Gratefully visiting hours don't end until 8:30 and don't actually apply to my husband and son unless they need to go back home for some reason.  So all in all, it really isn't that bad around here.  I am trying to relax. I've watched some t.v. and movies, played online a little, finished one baby blanket and am fixing to start another soon.  The hardest part is trying to deal with separation issues along with being patient while trying to get my insulin dosages right.  That has been really tough.

My consulting diabetics doctor is a Dr. Guthrie. He's great. He's just trying to be careful since I've had no prior history of diabetes personally and we didn't discover this until this last Monday? Hopefully we're close and things will start to settle in, but man I wish we could just figure it out.  Plus, I seem to be having a reaction of sorts to something like I do with sulfa where I get red in the face from sun sensitivity and the only connection I can see right now is with my insulin shots.  Something I'll have to ask about in the morning I guess. 

We did have something like a Braxton Hicks contraction earlier this evening, so I guess that's something else to keep an eye on. I don't need miss thing coming any earlier than she already will be if possible.  I think that kind of sums up how I've settled in so far on this part of life's path, but I'm sure things will continue to settle in just fine especially with all of my friends' and family's support. Thank you everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment